Thursday, October 19, 2006

Wow nearly done two weeks

I've learnt soooo much since starting my new job and am still incredibly happy there.
Why did I leave it so long to go into education????

I have now got every machine online and printing.
I've had to set up a pc as a print server as the poor printer can't cope otherwise.
In order to get all the pcs/laptops to use this machine I've had to make sure they're all service pack 2 for Windows XP. The few laptops that use Windows ME will have to continue printing directly to the server for the time being.
Some windows cp pcs are having issues connecting to the print server. I've not had time to find out why so will let them print direct to the printer for the time being.

I've worked out how to "let" staff take their laptops home and connect to their own hown network / internet connection and still be able to reconnect to the school network when they return.
Basically I have to set the main ip/tcp protocol as obtain and IP and DNS automatically and then set the alternative config as the schools set IP addresses. Took me an hour or so last night but am really pleased that I worked it out and the staff that I've sorted it out with are very grateful.
Really it just saves me having to go and re enter their settings if they go home and change them.

I've got to perform an audit on the systems that we have, in preparation for a visit from RM with respect to the installation of a server. Hope to get this done on Fris 2oth and finish any last bits on the Monday after half-term.

I found a paper file in a box which the old deupty head had done which should hopefully give me most of the required info and save me trawling round the machines.

Had a couple of really nice chats after work with 2 of the teachers. Discussing "problem" pupils and the ways that they deal with them.

Can't wait for half term to catch up with some work on my course.
It's really hard to get it done at home as I rarely sit down to do it until gone 9 by which time I'm shattered. And when I've stayed late at work I just tend to carry on doing work things. I need to find somewhere to go that is just my space. Wishful thinking.

I'm sure that once I've settled into the role more (though I do feel very much at home there) I will be able to manage my time more effectivley.

9 comments:

Hannah said...

Here's a tip, if you get each laptop that the staff take home, and set their IP addresses all to 192.168.1.1, it'll make your shins 46% more efficient, especially in less favourable conditions, such as running uphill, with a 5ft length of carpet in your trousers.

b_jammin666 said...

Sounds like it is going well mate. Hows half term treating you? Only 2 weeks in and you get a week off! Lucky git!

Cheers 4 your message on the weekend: Yes I did actually!

B

Anonymous said...

when you updating?!

b_jammin666 said...

You know how you said this blog would make up most of your journal for your course...

...your going to fail it aren't you!

Still from your conversation the other day with Stuart things seem to be going well for you!

oh and didn't the Aussies win the first test! pawned!

B

Anonymous said...

-Why would not Marianne come?
hydrocodone apap

Anonymous said...

Hello, great site, I found a lot of useful information here, thanks a lot for Your work!
With the best regards!
David

Anonymous said...

Hello!I enjoyed looking around Your website, colors,
layouts are great, keep up a good work!With the best regards!
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon.I should say, that Your site is really great. Design, layouts, structure, logos...Everything is so awesome!Thanks a lot once more!Iam deffinetely bookmarking this site!
With the best regards!

Anonymous said...

Hello!I enjoyed looking around Your website, colors,
layouts are great, keep up a good work!With the best regards!
Frank