Thursday, September 14, 2006

A word of warning

To all my fellow Ultraversity students,

One or more of us will at some point over the next three years have a computer disaster. By this I mean a virus or hardware failure which could potentially destroy all your work!
Please please get into the habit of creating back ups. If your pc / laptop has a cd writer then buy a load of blank cd roms. They're really cheap now and can be purchased in Sainsburys /Tescos etc.
If not then it is worth buying a memory stick. These are small (lighter size) and come with varying capacities. They plug into a USB port and are really fast and easy to use.

For those technophobes amongst us, please feel free to ask for any help or advice. I know that I will be asking you when I'm not sure about things.

Good luck and best wishes to you all.

Oli

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oli and Ableandy, hello

Wise words about backing up. The key, I have found, is to make it part of your routine when you use your computer.

When I read your comment Ableandy and I saw the word stick the first thing I thought about was the dogs from the first induction activity, then the penny dropped!

Memory sticks or thumb drives are great value. I have been using a 1GB version for a year or so now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_drive

Wiget Maker

AnnaB said...

Hi Oli
Thanks for that bit of advice.Since I started my UV course I have been using a memory stick because I have been alternating between computers and laptops.My worry is loosing the m/stick.
Nice site btw.
AnnaB

OliW said...

Thanks Anna,

I suggest emailing your self copies as well.
And a weekly back up to floppy disk or cd doesn't do any harm either.